Saturday 23 March 2013

Being scared of our own reflection

I have revisited blogging for one key reason. Reflection. All my classes have begun regularly reflecting at the end of the lesson on what they have learnt thanks to a wonderful blog by a fellow English teacher about using Think, Puzzle, Explore in the classroom. You can visit the original article here. Students are writing about what they know, what they are unsure about, or what crazy ideas came to them during the lesson (hopefully because of the lesson!) It's so students become more conscious of their thought process and begin to understand their own learning. It's also made me think more about what I do - the end of the lesson causes me to pause and think "Have I given my students an opportunity to learn today?" This blog is a means for me to reflect and share my experiences.

Basically I have some key goals that I need to share in relation to this blog:

  • Increase parent interaction
  • Reflect on teaching practice
  • Develop a writing portfolio for a MPhil (Communication) focusing on creativity
  • Provide a basis for a class newsletter
The class newsletter will be composed of student reflections each fortnight, outlining key activities and learning experiences. It will be produced by the students and contain key dates. I will publish a version on the blog and hopefully the school website, but I will need parent e-mails in order to distribute the newsletters. This links in with a plan to frequently inform parents of homework, assessments and other everyday requirements as well as enable them to be involved in the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment